The internet has 3.7 billion users. The population of the world is 7 Billion.
There are 2.3 billion users of Social Media.
- 91% of retail brands use 2 or more social media channels
- Internet users have an average of 5.54 social media accounts
- Social media users have risen by 176 million in the last year
- 1 million new active mobile social users are added every day. That’s 12 each second
- Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp handle 60 billion messages a day
4Chan: 11 million users
Airbnb: 50 million users
Facebook: 1.71 billion users
Flickr: 112 million users
Google+: 300 million users
Instagram: 400 million users
LinkedIn: 450 million users
MySpace: 50.6 million users
Periscope: 10 million users
Pinterest: 100 million users
Reddit: 36 million accounts
Snapchat: 100 million users
Twitter: 320 million users
Wechat: 1.12 billion users
Weibo: 600 million users
WhatsApp: 900 million users
Youtube: Over 1 billion users
In terms of social media Facebook is by far and away the most used, with 1.71 Billion users on the platform. We will be focusing on three main platforms in our assignment. These are Facebook, Instragram and Tinder. I will touch on Tinder and it’s users later.
- Facebook adds 500,000 new users every day; 6 new profiles every second
- 72% of all online US adults visit Facebook at least once a month
- The average (mean) number of friends is 338, and the median (midpoint) number of friends is 200
- Half of internet users who do not use Facebook themselves live with someone who does
- Of those, 24% say that they look at posts or photos on that person’s account
- There are an estimated 81 million fake Facebook profiles
- The most popular page is Facebook for Every Phone, with 509,772,152 likes
- There are 40 million active small business Pages
- But only 2 million of those businesses pay for advertising
- Facebook accounts for 62% of social logins made by consumers to sign into the apps and websites of publishers and brands
- There are 400 million Monthly Active Users on Instagram
- Over 80 million photos are uploaded each day
- There are 3.5 billion Instagram Likes per day
- More than 40 billion photos have been shared so far
- 90 percent of Instagram users are younger than 35
- When Instagram introduced videos, more than 5 million were shared in 24 hours
- Pizza is the most popular Instagrammed food, behind sushi and steak
- 32% of US teens cite Instagram as their favourite social network.
Dating and social media.
This in short in what we plan to focus on. It’s all well and good stating how many users are on social media and how many people take pictures of Pizza and what not, but how is it affecting our lives? Is social media affecting us in a negative sense? If so how.
We believe that social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram have changed dating and relationships forever. think about it, if you have a fight with your girlfriend there are hundreds of millions of others at the touch of your fingertips. That was never a problem for previous couples of generations past. Instagram likes create uncertainty in Relationships. Speaking from experience, a man liking my girlfriends picture makes me insecure and susceptible to a panic attack. Relationships have changed. Mental health issues are at a hire rate then ever before. Depression alone affects 450,000 people in Ireland,( that’s one in ten). The big one is anxiety. facebook and instagram create unrealistic real world values. Just scroll down your newsfeed and it will make you feel bad. You’ll see countless pictures of peoople who look like they posess the perfect life. Couples who look likle they posess the perfect relationship. But they don’t. They only show you what they want to see. They showcase their best side because they are afraid of their worst. Just like you.
- 84% of its singles say they use tools like Yelp to review potential date venues. 
- United States
- In order Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, West Virginia, Connecticut, Minnesota, and New Jersey came out on top as the safest states for online dating. 
- New regulations will require dating websites to keep IP address records, and require users to upload documents proving their identity. 
- Dating, Relationships & Marriage
- In a study of first dates by Coffee Meets Bagel it was found: 
- 37% of couples chatted for a week before going on that first date.
- Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays are the most popular days for first dates.
- 33% of couples went out to dinner for their first date rather than going out for drinks or coffee.
- 80% of men paid for the first date, while 20% split the check.
- 73% of first dates cost less than $50.
- 45% of singles kiss on the first date.
- 77% of couples planned their second date during the first date.
- We tend to view our own traits favorably, so we also look positively on those same traits in others. This applies to both personality traits and physical characteristics. 
- A study found humans are likely to pick partners with similar DNA. This “assortative mating” strategy helps ensure our genetics are successfully passed on to future generations. 
- Online daters tend to select partners who have completed the same level of formal education. 
- Older educated online daters care less about how educated their matches are. 
- In the 2017 Singles In America study it was found: 
- 15% of singles say they feel addicted to the process of looking for a date on a dating service. Millennials are 125% more likely to feel addicted than older generations.
- 33% of Millenial singles have had sex before a first date
- 22% of Millennials say they think technology has made finding love more difficult and 57% say they’re lonely.
- Millennials are 30% more likely than other generations to have a first date that leads to a second date.
- In the 2017 Singles In America study it was further found: 
- Millennials are 125% more likely to say they feel addicted to dating than older generations.
- 75% of singles said they are turned off if their dates answer their phones while they are together.
- 66% of singles said they don’t like when their dates texts while they are together.
- 55% of singles say technology has made dating harder.
- Millennials are 75% more likely than Boomers to have dated someone online, and 57% more likely than those of other generations to have created a profile on a dating app.
- A recent study found online daters are less willing to hold out for the “perfect” person and more interested in finding someone who might have potential. 
- Regarding Tech and love, in the 2017 Singles In America study it was found: 
- 29% of singles said that actual phone calls are big turn-ons
- 26% of singles think it’s a turn-on if you’re not on social media at all
- Millennials are 270% more likely to think it’s hot if you’re binge-watching the same TV shows
- The biggest tech turn-offs are constant social media activity (50%) and complaining openly on Facebook (58%)
- In a study of first dates by Coffee Meets Bagel it was found: 
Tinder is by far and away the most popular dating app in the world. It’s simple “swipe left and right” method is possibly then sole reason for this. Males and females can find a partner simply by swiping right, if said person swipes the other right, the pair become matched. A bit easier then approaching someone in a bar aye? It takes the method out of dating. You don’t get to know the person as much. You can know everything about them before meeting them in person. No facial expressions to match to the words and no knowledge of the actual person sitting behind the screen. This person could have the confidence of Dwayne the Rock Johnson behind a computer screen but when you meet them they’re like the little girl out of Monsters Inc.
Tinder Launched in September of 2012. There is an estimated 50 million users of the dating app, with 10 million daily active users. Tinder has been downloaded over 100 million times. These stats are per the Tinder Website, click here and also a Tinder stats website, click here. 54% of tinder users are single. 3% are divorced, and shockingly 12% are already in a relationship. The most shocking fact may be that 79% of Tinder Users are millenials.
Matches Made by Tinder: 10 billion